NATE is an independent, non–profit body that certified installation and service technicians using a knowledge–based test. It stands for North American Technician Excellence and is one of the most respected and recognized confirmation of knowledge and experience in the heating, ventilation and air conditioning industry.
What is NATE Certification?
NATE certification tests exemplify real working knowledge of heating and cooling systems, and are meant to certify service technicians in specific knowledge areas. Technicians must take and pass a core exam and one specialty exam of their choice, with the passing grade being 70%. The core exam covers tools, safety, soft skills, total comfort, heat transfer, and electrical questions. On the other hand, one can earn service, installation, or senior certification in one or more specialties including:
· Air distribution
· Air conditioning
· Oil heating
· Gas heating
· Commercial refrigeration
· Light commercial refrigeration
· HVAC efficiency analysis
· Heat pumps
· Hydronics oil
· Hydronics gas
There is a shortage of experienced NATE certified technicians nationwide. Being a certified technician can make all the difference when it comes to homeowner comfort, safety and health. Certified HVAC technicians are more appealing to prospective employers and clients; therefore, an NATE certification is a valuable addition to anyone’s resume.
In addition to benefitting the technician, a contractor with NATE technicians may benefit from the following:
· Increased productivity due to higher quality of work
· Enhanced business’s reputation
· Knowledgeable customers prefer certified technicians
· Companies with NATE technicians are included in the Contractor Consumer Connection Program.
· NATE technicians are often long–term employees
What Does NATE Certified Mean to You as a Customer?
Homeowners who need high quality and reliable installation, maintenance, or repair services of their heating and cooling systems should hire NATE certified HVAC technicians. Specific benefits include:
· NATE certified HVAC technicians have verifiable skills and knowledge required to deliver excellent service; therefore, they provide superior installation, maintenance and repair services.
· A NATE certification is not an industry requirement; rather, it is evidence of a technician’s knowledge and commitment to getting the job done right the first time.
· The installation, repair or maintenance process will meet every specification, ensuring the system will run at peak efficiency, which will save money, time, as well as maintenance and repair calls.
Homeowners should schedule a maintenance inspection to ensure they are getting the best from their AC unit.